Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Pink-Eye Epidemic is Over......Finally!

My Darling Little Daughter has been battling conjunctivitis (aka Pinkeye) for about a week. It did not affect her much except in the mornings when the crud would seal her eyes shut and I would have to pick the eye-boogers off so she could open them. The Doctor gave us some drops and the daycare but her in quarantine. (My sitter told me that after administering the drops for 24 hours Mini would no longer be contagious. This leads me to believe that Mini probably got pinkeye from one of the snot nosed kids at day care).

I moved sanitation measures in the house to levels that would shock the Broad of Health. Anti-bacterial soap was everywhere, we bathed in it, we ate it, we loved it. By the weekend, Mini had a little gunk in her eye and would occasionally itch her eye but I was expecting a full recovery. Everything was packed and ready to go in anticipation of Monday morning but there was something I could not have prepared for that plagued the Domestic Darlin's House for DAYS...

At around 2:30am on Monday morning I was rustled out of a coma by my husband. He was not laying in bed next to me where I had left him before I went to sleep, but standing next to the bed hoovering over me much like a small child.

"Does it look like I have Pink Eye?" he demanded. Well considering we were in a pitch black room and just moments before I was making out with Johnny Depp on a Pirate Ship, I spat him some foul retort rolled over and prayed that God would let me resume the dream where I had left off.

By 5 am, with Hubby snoring next to me, I figured he had decided to call in sick to work. I got up, got pretty and was headed out the door when I hear "Darlin, do you want me to get the baby ready for you?" Like he was doing ME a favor. I guess I had stupidly assumed that since he felt the need to stay home due to his "condition" he would at least keep the baby home too (as so I would not have to drive her 15 minutes to her daycare as well as transport her home). Hubby informed me that there was NO way he could stay home with her because he was "Visually Impaired" due to the Pinkeye.

He called the doctor and went on and on about the sheer misery he was in. I really believe it may have been touch and go for a while there. He held it together like a true man (wink!). Well as day two rolled around I assumed he would surely go into work. He did not even take off 2 days for his own grandfather's funeral. Hubby informed me that due to his "highly contagious" infliction there was no way he could "expose" all of his agents to the conjunctivitis. I informed him that if he was taking another day off he was keeping the little one. They had a lovely morning together and then my work phone started a ringing. Apparently the pinkeye had "gotten the best of him" and he was unable to "properly care for my kid" (please note he is the babies father...he uses the term my in these types of situations). So I had to rush home from work to play Florance Nightingale for my husband.

Upon arrival, he was huddled in the bed as if he had the flu, or mad-cow; so I took my precious angel and started cleaning the house. After a while I decided a snowball/swinging trip may be in order. I announced my plans, and just as Lazarus rose from the dead my husband was miraculously cured of the horrid conjunctivitis by the promise of a sweet treat. They really never do grow up.

When my 13 month old daughter had pink eye her condition was one pink eye, the side effect of her condition were extra eye boogers.

When my husband had pink eye his condition was Conjunctivitis, the side effects were headache, nausea, loss of appetite (except for the 7 lbs of crawfish he some how managed to "keep down") excessive whining, flu-like aches, exhaustion, irritability, visual distortions, bipolar disorder and severe PMS.

After a day home with our precious angel Hubby was off to work by 4 am this morning. I am glad the whole epidemic is behind us and no one was seriously injured (although Hubby is sporting a bruise from when he tried to compare his "Pinkeye" condition with my "Pregnancy Woes". I had to punish him and in that situation violence was the ONLY alternative).

No comments: