Sunday, April 1, 2007

Naked Babies, everywhere but mine is fully clothed.

Over the weekend my mother, my daughter and myself went to a lovely little Easter Craft Fair at a neighborhood park. This park is a favorite among local kids because of the water feature it houses for tons of family fun. As you can see from the pictures below, water shoots up from the ground at random intervals.



Well on Saturday the park was packed and there were at least 30 children, from infant to still cool enough to run around in a swim suit with little kids, crowded on the water feature. We stopped for a while to watch the kids play. My little one watched in amazement at the kids running around and screaming with delight. As we watched the children play I spotted a little girl running towards us. She stopped right in front of our stroller and quickly disrobed. She turned and ran back into the water spouts in nothing but her little panties, leaving her shorts and shirt abandoned on the sidelines. I watched her shriek with satisfaction for her her found freedom. Then I watched as she decided it would be in her best interest to go full monty. That's right she ran out of the spouts and tossed her underwear and ran totally naked and carefree back into the water. I guess this would be a good time to mention the little girl was maybe 4, but probably only 3. I scanned the crowd looking for a disgruntled parent, or at least an overly amused parent looking for their camera before becoming disgruntled. Nothing.

Then I saw her, it had taken the jay-bird's mother a little while to respond because she had to get her youngest child (maybe 10 mths) out of the stroller. With little baby on hip the mother headed toward the sprinkler, as she neared the jay-bird the naked little girl did what any little naked girl would do in the same situation and ran. Jay-bird dodged in and out of the water spout squealing with glee as she looked over her shoulder to see her mother chasing her while getting soaking wet. By the time the Jay-bird was dressed and back in the sprinkler with clothes on, the mother and the baby were drenched. I think I laughed more then was appropriate but it is one of those little parts of motherhood that nobody every prepares you for.

No comments: